We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
White cabbage is grown in almost every garden plot. It is difficult for inexperienced vegetable growers to understand the variety of varieties and choose the right one.
The Gloria cabbage variety is quite unpretentious, even a beginner can grow it and harvest a good harvest.
To do this, you need to create the conditions necessary for growth, to provide correct and timely care. Today we'll talk about how to properly grow and store cabbage.
Gloria is a mid-early variety. From the moment of planting the seeds to harvesting, it takes about 130 days. The leaves have a gray-green color, with a waxy coating, fleshy, with veins. The upper edge of the leaves is wavy, which makes them tighter when forming a head of cabbage.
The leaves are rolled into a rosette rather late, due to which the head of cabbage turns out high above the ground. Heads of cabbage are dense, round in shape, their average weight is about 3 kg.
It is widely used in cooking for the preparation of various dishes and preparations for the winter. Keeps fresh for up to 5 months.
History of origin
Gloria is a hybrid (F1) that was bred by Dutch breeders. The State Register of Seed Production of the Russian Federation included it in the lists in 2011 (read more about cabbage varieties of Dutch selection here).
What is the difference from other species?
The difference between this variety is the possibility of planting in two terms. The first crop is used for fresh consumption and in cooking. The second is for storage in the winter.
Gloria cabbage is very rich in iron and calcium salts, as well as vitamins A and C. It has good keeping quality, retaining its appearance and taste for up to 5 months.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Gloria has a number of advantages:
- good taste that is not lost during storage;
- marketable condition, which is preserved during transportation;
- consistently high yield in various climatic zones;
- disease resistance;
- the ability to withstand temperature extremes, heat, cold;
- constant mineral feeding is not required;
- heads of cabbage are not subject to cracking;
- versatility in use.
Disadvantages of this variety:
- dependence on soil fertility;
- the need for growing in a sunny, open place;
- compulsory observance of agricultural technology;
- seedlings are prone to elongation.
Step by step instructions for care and planting
- Where and for how much you can buy seed. Gloria is a fairly common variety; you can purchase it at any specialized department or store. Also, seeds and seedlings are offered at various agricultural fairs and exhibitions.
A convenient way is to purchase from an online store, where the seeds will be delivered home. It is important to pay attention to the verification of the sites and the name of the manufacturer. The cost is different, depending on the number of seeds, from 32 rubles for 16 pieces.
- Landing time. To grow this variety, it is better to choose a seedling method. Sowing is carried out in the first half of April. The plant is transferred to open ground in the second half of May, when the air and soil are already sufficiently warmed up.
- Choosing a landing site. The place for planting seedlings should be open and well-lit by the sun. It is better to choose it, observing the crop rotation. Precursors for cabbage can be cucumbers, onions, potatoes, legumes. You should not plant seedlings where there were radishes, turnips, rutabagas, other types of cabbage and tomatoes last year.
- What should be the soil. This variety of cabbage does not grow well in areas with acidic soil, so it is more correct to start cooking the planting site in the fall. Slaked lime, chalk, wood ash are added to the soil. Before planting, seedlings are fed with organic fertilizers in the spring. Peat, sand, humus and wood ash are added to the holes. For seedlings, use a ready-made soil mixture or independently mix the earth with peat and humus.
- Landing. Seeds for seedlings are buried 1-2 cm, moisten the soil and cover with foil or glass. The first shoots appear in about a week. When two leaves appear, the cabbage is dived, the distance between the seedlings is left about 6 cm. Seedlings are planted in open ground, on which 5-7 leaves, about 20 cm high.
It is important to maintain a distance of at least 50 cm when transplanting a plant. The row spacing is about 60 cm. About a liter of water should be poured into each hole, a seedling should be placed there, covered with earth to the first leaves, the earth is slightly compacted. The first few days after planting, the seedlings need shading.
- Temperature. For seedlings before emergence, a temperature of about +10 is recommended. Further, for the sprouts, the regime is maintained from +14 to +18 during the day, from +6 to +10 at night. 2-3 weeks before planting, the seedlings are taken out into the air for hardening.
Seedlings are planted at stable daytime temperatures of +12 degrees. This variety tolerates temperature drops from +20 during the day to -6 at night, but the optimum temperature will be from +10 to +20.
- Watering. After planting the seedlings, it should be watered twice a day for a week. In the future, watering is reduced to once every 5-6 days. Water must be used settled, pour it under the root, without getting on the leaves.
- Top dressing. The recommended amount of dressing is 3 times per season. Then the cabbage will have equally succulent leaves and grow evenly. In the spring, after planting in the ground, fertilize with a mixture of urea, superphosphate and wood ash, diluted with water. After two weeks, organic and nitrogen substances are added.
The last feeding is done at the stage of head formation, 3-4 weeks before harvest. It consists of potassium-nitrogen components with the addition of superphosphate. One of the advantages of Gloria is that fertilization improves plant growth, but is not required.
- Other measures for the care of the vegetable. After each watering, the soil needs to be loosened. This will prevent its thickening, and will serve as a prophylaxis against fungal diseases.
Hilling is another mandatory requirement of agricultural technology. The first time this is done 2-3 weeks after planting the seedlings, then at least once every 10 days. In order for the moisture level to be better preserved, the soil is mulched with peat with a layer about 5 cm thick.
- Harvesting. The signs of ripeness in cabbage of this variety are the cessation of growth of the head of cabbage, its compaction, as well as yellowing of the lower leaves. Cleaning can be done not only by hand, but also by machine. It is important to do this before the onset of frost, because low temperatures change the chemical composition in the leaves, which affects the shelf life.
The versatility of the variety allows you to use it for all types of workpieces, as well as freeze and store fresh.
To store cabbage, you must observe the temperature regime. Above +3 forks, it can begin to sprout and bloom.
Most often, heads of cabbage are placed in a basement or cellar, while laying them in boxes or simply on shelves, leaving space between the forks. Sometimes they are hung up with a stump or tightly wrapped in cling film.
Diseases and pests
This hybrid is resistant to damage by the main disease of the species - Fusarium. At low temperatures in high humidity conditions, it can be exposed to gray rot and powdery mildew. To combat, use an infusion of onion and garlic peels or use drugs such as Fitosporin.
Also Gloria variety can suffer from caterpillars, beetles, aphids. To scare away insects, spraying with infusion of tomato tops or onion husks is used. Also for this purpose, sage, mint, marigolds, rosemary and other plants with a spicy aroma are planted in the aisle.
Prevention of various problems
In order to get the desired result from this variety, you need to remember some conditions:
- hilling should be done regularly;
- waterlogging of the soil can lead to diseases;
- weeds must be removed in a timely manner;
- each watering must be accompanied by loosening;
- the landing pattern must be followed.
Gloria is a universal hybrid, which appeared in the regions of the Russian Federation relatively recently, but managed to establish itself and become popular. Good keeping quality and taste make it possible to grow it both in large volumes for commercial purposes and in summer cottages in various regions.
Watch a video about the main characteristics of this variety, as well as about the rules for caring for Gloria F1 cabbage: