We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Tomatoes, unlike many crops, thrive best when grown in bags. The main advantage is that tomatoes in bags can be moved from one place to another without damaging their rhizomes or stems.
At first, this method seems very unusual, but it has been popular for a long time, becoming more widespread and popular every year. All the pros and cons of planting tomatoes in bags will be considered in this article.
Description of the essence of the method
The essence of the method is that, by planting tomato seedlings in bags, it is possible to expect high yields... This idea requires the right bags, a filling medium, a place to place them, garter supports and healthy seedlings. This method of growing tomatoes is not too different from the traditional method.
In this case, we are talking about cultivating tomatoes in bags, when the seedlings need to be planted not in open ground in vegetable gardens, but in bags with soil, which is sold in a large assortment in special stores.
Growing tomatoes in bags, you need to carry out standard procedures: watering, feeding, garter, loosening, pinching. Tomatoes, unlike many vegetables, do well when grown in bags. Transplanting plants in this way is very easy: tomatoes in bags can be easily rearranged from one place to another, without worrying that the roots or stems will be damaged.
Advantages and disadvantages
Among the advantages of this planting method are the following:
- In the event of premature cold weather or frost, the bags can be moved to the most insulated room.
- When watering, moisture goes directly to the root system of the plants, and does not spread over the surface of the ground, which saves the amount of water required for irrigation.
- Reduced watering time due to slow evaporation of moisture.
- The soil warms up much more quickly under the sun's rays and cools much less at night.
- Tomatoes are much less susceptible to various kinds of diseases.
- The threat of the spread of pests and infections is reduced.
- The minimum need for effort and time for weeding, hilling, loosening, harvesting.
- A tangible increase in the overall yield of plantings.
- The soil after harvesting tomatoes can be applied to other parts of the flower garden or vegetable garden.
- The yield of tomatoes in bags does not depend on the quality of the soil in which they are grown
- Such a harmful factor as weeds disappears.
- Compact: This growing method saves space for growing other crops and allows the bags to be placed anywhere.
The disadvantages of this method of growing tomatoes include:
- Sacks of tomatoes may tear when moving, given the bottom holes. But they are necessary to prevent rotting of rhizomes in tomatoes and stagnation of water in the soil.
- The color of the bags should be chosen light, because dark shades attract heat, and because of this, tomatoes will grow poorly and overheat greatly, and it will also be necessary to increase the amount of water for irrigation several times.
- It is possible to overdo it with watering. If you don't watch it in time, the tomatoes will die.
- The need to use additional materials in contrast to the usual method of planting crops.
- You need to think in advance about the preparation and time for planting and caring for tomatoes.
- Very frequent watering is required. It is necessary to think over the location of the bags on the site in such a way that the well or the column is nearby.
Water should be poured specifically into the drainage column, otherwise the root system of plants can rot from an excess of moisture.
To grow tomatoes this way, you can use large sugar bags. (by 30 or more kilograms), since they are more durable, they pass air and water well than similar polyethylene ones.
In this case, it is necessary to cut the corners to form special drainage holes. But this does not prevent you from taking plastic bags for planting tomatoes.
When preparing materials for planting tomatoes pay attention to the color of the bags: it is better that they are light colors, but if there are none, then dark bags need to be wrapped with light (white) material so that their rhizomes do not overheat. And the material the bags are made of is not that important; they can be made of polyethylene or you can take bags that previously contained sugar.
There is an opportunity to buy seeds in a specialized store or prepare them first with your own hands. Before planting tomatoes in the soil, you need to prepare the seeds 62-67 days before that - tomato seedlings should be 55-60 days + a week for seedlings to appear (for details on how to grow tomato seedlings in the Chinese way, read here, and from this (See the article on the no-dagger method of sowing seeds).
The seeds must first be calibrated in a 3% sodium chloride solution. (3 g per 100 ml of water). Within a few minutes, empty seeds will float, and quality seeds will sink to the bottom. Then the seeds must be disinfected in a solution of potassium permanganate or a solution of hydrogen peroxide for thirty minutes. Next, you need to harden the seeds in the refrigerator for two days at a temperature of + 1 ° C.
If you use purchased seeds, then you need to track the expiration date. Seedlings will sprout much better if the seeds are with the shortest shelf life.
The rest of the material
The soil: In order to increase the yield of tomatoes, it is best to prepare special soil before planting them. Pre-prepared soil for tomatoes should not be highly alkaline or acidic, it is better to make it neutral. To obtain the effect of looseness, vermiculite, sawdust and sand should be added to the ground.
In order not to feed the tomatoes in the future before the ovaries appear, you need to fill the bags half with humus, and cover the second part with ordinary earth. Compost can also play the role of a filler.
Supports for tying tomatoes: You can tie the tomatoes with a rope, wire or a rail, which should be pulled over the bags, to which the bushes will be tied with twine. Wooden supports can also be inserted into the bags.
Detailed instructions: step by step
In a container for sugar
It is best to use white sugar bags for planting tomatoes in this way, since they have a strong density compared to plastic bags. Then you need to take a spatula and pour two buckets of compost soil into the bag.
If you use sugar bags, you don't have to worry about the holes... According to a special production technology, they have already been done in advance. Due to the white color, the plants will not overheat and the rhizomes will develop faster.
Firstly, growing a tall tomato variety involves filling a third of the volume with soil. Secondly, if a low-growing variety is planted, then the bag is filled strictly by half. Then the bags should be put tightly to each other in the greenhouse, and the top of the bag should be turned out.
Landing takes place this way:
- Pour the nutrient mixture into a bag.
- Two or three plants should be transplanted from the container into each bag, depending on their height.
- Tomato rhizomes should be sprinkled with earth on top, the neck should be at ground level.
- The soil must be carefully tamped.
- Then the planted seedlings should be watered.
- Next, you need to move the bags of tomatoes to the greenhouse. If the cold weather has passed, then they can be taken out to the garden.
In plastic bags
- In the case of using a plastic bag for planting tomatoes, cut out the holes for the seedlings, while cutting off the top of the bag along the cut line.
These bags are best suited for planting three tomato seedlings in one bag.
- Next, you need to make drainage holes on the sides of the bag.
- Then you need to make small holes in the soil for planting seedlings. The dimensions of such holes should correspond to the size of the container from which the plant will be planted.
- The seedling should be carefully removed and transplanted into the dug hole.
- For support, you can take small pegs or pull the rope.
- At the end of planting, the tomatoes must be abundantly watered.
How to care for tomato seeds before and after planting?
Before planting tomatoes in bags, you need to carry out high-quality disinfection of seeds.... The seeds should be soaked in advance in hydrogen peroxide or in a solution of potassium permanganate. In the case of buying seeds, the need for this procedure is automatically eliminated. Before planting, the seeds should be germinated in advance: you need to put them in warm water for a day and wrap them in a damp cloth for several days before germination.
They also need to be dried until flowable. It is necessary to make special grooves at a distance of several centimeters from each other using a pen, water and sow the seeds with high quality at intervals of about three centimeters. Then cover the container with a transparent film until germination, periodically moisturizing and airing.
Read more about how to process tomato seeds before sowing in a separate article.
What result should be expected?
When growing tomatoes in bags, the fruits ripen much earlier than when grown using the traditional method (about two to three weeks ahead of schedule). Tomatoes grown in bags are significantly ahead of those plants that grow in open ground in terms of number on each bush.
With this method, tomatoes are much juicier, larger (you can find out about the difficulties and features of growing large tomatoes here). Their weight can even reach one kilogram. Such fruits do not crack, and their pulp is much denser and fleshy than the fruits of tomatoes growing in the beds.
- Excessive watering. It is not necessary to overfill the soil, since the outflow of excess moisture from the bag is rather slow, and the roots can rot.
- Insufficient disinfection before the next tomato planting.
- After harvesting, the soil can be thrown into the compost pit, and the bags can be saved, since they can be used more than once. But before the next planting, it is imperative to treat the bags with a disinfectant, especially if the tomatoes were sick.
- Insufficient care of plants with a decrease in temperature. When it gets cold, you need to unfold the upper free edge of the bag and cover the seedlings; for a while, you can drag the bags to a more insulated room.
- Insufficient disinfection. First of all, it is necessary to disinfect seeds, soil and containers for growing tomatoes to prevent the occurrence of diseases, and not to treat plants for diseases.
Exactly planting tomatoes in bags makes it easy to protect them from frost in spring, create favorable conditions for the development of plants and a good harvest.
Many gardeners are constantly trying to find all sorts of ways to increase the yield of the grown products and simplify the planting process itself. We advise you to look at our materials about other non-standard methods of growing tomatoes: according to Maslov, in a barrel, upside down, on two roots.
You can watch the video below for more information on how to grow a tomato in bags: