We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Azalea is a flowering houseplant with a wonderful aroma from the genus of rhododendrons. The plant is capricious, requires proper care and suitable growing conditions.
Leaf shedding is considered the main problem of a representative of this genus. In this article, we'll talk about why this happens and how to save a beautiful flower from loss of foliage.
What is indoor rhododendron shedding?
The shedding of a significant amount of foliage by a flower. If leaf shedding occurs, you should immediately take action to eliminate a fairly serious and common problem. With a large loss of green mass, a long period is required for the release of new leaves and the growth of the old crown.
Why does the plant throw off all the leaves or throw off some of them?
Rhododendron leaves fall off mainly with improper care of a rather demanding plant. The main reasons why rhododendron dries up and begins to shed foliage are the following:
- the work of the root system is disrupted;
- little light;
- damage by pests (read about pests and diseases of azaleas here);
- transplanting and changing location during flowering, stress for the plant;
- insufficient moisture and watering.
Reference. In summer, azaleas should be doused with water in the shower, at least a couple of times a week to prevent death due to lack of moisture.
What are the consequences, is it possible to save the rhododendron?
If the process of falling foliage has completely touched the entire flower and crown, you need to carefully examine the root. It must be flexible and resilient, then the plant can be reanimated. If a the stem has survived, but the root has died, you can try to rough it and root it.
Before resuscitating a flower, make sure that it has not died completely, otherwise all rescue measures will be useless.
How to revive it if green or yellow foliage is crumbling, buds are flying around?
Next, we give step-by-step instructions on how to save a rhododendron, depending on why he threw off the foliage, dropped flowers and buds.
If a the leaves of the bush are crumbling, while it has lowered the buds, and the flowers are drying up, probably you rushed to transplant new green pet.
- Help the root system of the plant, spill the soil with zircon solution.
- Azalea transplant should take place in the spring, in the first half. Use the transhipment method to avoid root damage. In terms of volume, the pot should be 2 cm less than the crown of the azalea. Fill the bottom with drainage.
- Do not rearrange flowering shrubs from one place to another.
Important! During the flowering period, it is impossible to spray the plant, the flowers do not tolerate moisture well and may fall off.
In the case when the leaves turn yellow and the plant loses them, use soft water for irrigation (why the leaves, buds and stems of rhododendron turn yellow and how to save the azalea, find out here). If there are no changes for the better, then change the substrate, perhaps there is clay soil in the pot.
The foliage can turn yellow and fall off when the plant is damaged by a shield. The insect can be recognized by the characteristic brown plaques that are visible on the surface of the leaves.
The color of the leaves gradually fades, then a sticky bloom forms, shine, and eventually the leaf turns completely yellow and falls off. Immediately noticed and recognized the pest, it is enough to treat it with soapy water. In the advanced stage of plant damage, it is necessary to use special chemicals.
Do not allow the accumulation of water in the pan of the pot, in order to avoid the process of decay in the root system.
Azalea can shed green leaves due to very dry air, especially in winter, when the heating is turned on, and when pests appear.
- Examine the leaf of the plant on the reverse side and internodes, the presence of the finest filaments of evidence that a spider mite has wound up. It appears in very dry air.
- See the flower with a soapy sponge and wash it under the shower with warm water. Spray daily, usually after these procedures, the pest disappears. In case of severe tick damage, spray with 0.15% Actellik solution.
Important! Before using the fertilizer, carefully read the instructions for preparation and dosage, they may be different depending on the manufacturers.
If the plant shoots brown, almost blackened leaves, it means that it is sick with a fungal infection (why the edge and the inside of the leaves turn black in azaleas and why they fall off and how to help the plant, read here). Tear off the affected leaves, process the flower and soil in the pot with fungicidal preparations.
Other a possible cause of leaf darkening is damage by black thrips. Small insect, less than one millimeter in size. As a rule, it is located on the inner side of the leaf plates, black spots are also formed there, which have a grayish tint on the upper part of the leaf.
In the fight against a pest, you need to use a chemical for treatment, for example, an emulsion of malathion.
If the indoor rhododendron shrub turns red and leaves crumble, there may be several reasons:
- Most often, reddened fallen leaves appear when direct sunlight hits the plant.
- Azalea needs to be fertilized, if you have not done so, it is possible that the plant has a lack of phosphorus. Fertilize it according to the timing of the top dressing and follow the recommended dosage.
- Leaves can turn red from too much fertilizer. Then rinse the soil, put the flower in the sink and water it with water so that the water does not flow out through the edges of the pot, but only from the drainage holes. Excess fertilizer will be washed away with water.
If the azalea has completely crumbled, it is urgent to take all measures to resuscitate it. Otherwise, a lack of adequate nutrition will lead to the death of the flower.
To save, you need to put a transparent plastic bag on the pot and secure it with an elastic band from below. In such conditions of high humidity, the growth of new leaves will go. During the rehabilitation period, watering is not necessary under the package, the soil remains moistened. After the appearance of new leaves on the shoots, the package is removed.
Reference. You can determine the health of an azalea by examining the appearance of the leaves.
Preventive measures - how to care for a flower at home?
Preventive measures can be taken to prevent exposing the stems:
- Water with very soft water (settled, boiled, distilled, melted), abundantly, but do not overmoisten the soil.
- Maintain humidity between 70-80% where azaleas are grown. It is recommended to use a humidifier, put pieces of ice in the tray, cover the batteries near the plant during the heating season, and put containers with water.
- Adjust the temperature regime according to the seasons. In summer up to 20-24 0 С, with frequent spraying, and in winter 14-160С.
- Avoid dryness and extreme heat, place away from direct sunlight.
- Treat in a timely manner with drugs against pests. Inspect stems, buds, leaves for insects daily.
It is possible to prevent the shedding of foliage in an azalea, you should properly care for and not make mistakes that cause this problem. If shedding has begun, determine the cause and use the recommendations provided to eliminate them.
We offer you to watch a video about the causes of leaf shedding in azaleas: