We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Any gardener knows that the quality of seedlings depends on the container in which they germinated. But not everyone knows how diverse the choice in this area is.
Suitable containers for planting seedlings
Each type of container for planting seedlings has its own advantages and disadvantages. The choice of a suitable container depends on what crops will live in it and in what way they will be planted.
This also includes any other handy plastic containers: packaging for yoghurt or food. The main advantages of such a capacity are the absence of financial costs and durability. The disadvantages include:
- you will have to make drainage holes yourself;
- does not look aesthetically pleasing.
5 varieties of carrots that are great for a greenhouse
5 varieties of cucumbers for cultivation in polycarbonate greenhouses
These are small containers with a diameter of 3 to 7 cm, interconnected. Cassettes can be made of polystyrene or polyvinyl chloride... Pros of capacity:
- easy to carry from place to place;
- low cost;
- durability (can last up to 10 years with careful use);
- have an excellent drainage system (water drainage holes in each cell).
- the cells are small, which is an advantage for some types of seedlings - it does not outgrow.
A significant drawback relates to PVC cells. The material contains toxic substances that can harm the sprouts.
Small pots are 70-80% peat and 20-30% paper... They have a number of advantages:
- low price;
- seedlings develop well;
- easy to transplant into open ground;
- a large percentage of seedlings survival rate;
- do not contain toxins;
- porous walls help maintain the perfect balance of breathability;
- easy to use.
- after they become unusable and rotted, they can be used as fertilizer.
At the same time, there are significant disadvantages of using:
- when dry, the soil becomes very hard around the walls, which has a bad effect on the growth of seedlings;
- if you overdo it with watering, mold will quickly appear.
The composition of such a container includes compressed peat, nutrients and non-woven material so that the tablet does not lose its shape.
The main advantages of this capacity are:
- no need to buy additional materials. A tablet is a soil, a container, and a recharge at the same time;
- good air and water permeability;
- great for growing crops that do not tolerate transplanting. Seedlings are transferred to open ground directly in tablets.
However, there are also disadvantages:
- expensive, especially if large quantities are needed;
- cannot be reused;
- you need to constantly monitor the humidity, otherwise the plants will die, because the substrate dries up.
The material at hand, which is in every home, which is the main advantage of such a container... Other advantages include:
- the ability to land in open ground together with a tray (talking about paper trays);
- small holes prevent the plant from overgrowing;
- easy to move from place to place;
The disadvantages include:
- can only be used once;
- you will have to additionally feed the plants;
- watering must be monitored, mold can form if overflowed.
Some gardeners use the shell as a container for seedlings. The advantages of this application:
- environmental friendliness;
- in the future, the shell will serve as a mineral fertilizer;
- does not take up much space, is easily transported;
- high percentage of seed germination;
- the root system is not damaged when transplanted into open ground;
- lime in the shell improves the quality of the soil;
- the shell decomposes completely and does not contaminate the soil;
- the egg film releases a substance that prevents the development of fungal diseases;
With all the advantages of the method, it has a number of significant disadvantages:
- can be grown no more than 3 weeks;
- not all types of plants are suitable for such a container;
- it is difficult to make drainage holes;
- Due to the chemical composition of the eggshell, it is not suitable for growing plants that only acidic soil is suitable for.
Top 5 sweet and hot peppers for greenhouses
5 varieties of tomatoes perfect for a polycarbonate greenhouse
Planting seeds in a common box with subsequent picking in separate containers is the oldest method of growing seedlings.
It is not difficult to choose a box according to the required dimensions, manufacturers offer a large selection, or you can put together a box yourself.
- low cost for independent work;
- convenience. All plants are in one container;
- you can plant crops that require a lot of space;
- too large container, there may be problems during transportation;
- not suitable for all crops.
- is a temporary home. If the roots are overgrowing, it will be difficult to reach them without damaging them.
These small cylinders are easy to use as seedling cups. They can be left without a bottom, or by making cuts in the lower part and bending them inward, you can get a container with a bottom..
The advantages of such cultivation include:
- can be transferred to open ground;
- it is necessary to use a pallet;
- fragility. It is necessary to transfer the seedlings in time either to open ground, or to another large container;
- small diameter.
Laminate backing snail
This is a small roll, rolled up from a piece of backing or polyethylene. Many vegetable crops can be grown in this way.
Advantages of growing seedlings in a "snail":
- does not take up much space, although it can accommodate a considerable amount of seeds;
- an impromptu roll is easy to unfold in order to get more powerful plants for transplanting into another container, without disturbing other sprouts;
- can be used multiple times.
The disadvantages include:
- suitable only for the initial stages;
- additional lighting is needed so that the sprouts do not stretch out.
Questions From Readers
Can seedlings be planted directly in the egg tray?